Friday, March 16, 2012

Names.............

I pause for a long time and shake my head because this has been a never ending battle between Rob and I. We can't agree on anything!

Let me just vent for a second. First of all, um I'm the girl, I have been thinking of what to name my future children since I was a little girl. Second, does he forget the child is growing in me and I am the one that is doing all the work for nine months, not to mention the really painful, hard work that is needed at the end to get it out! Lastly, he is not the one getting up to pee in the middle of the night, struggling every morning to find something that fits and looks appropriate and who's boobs and belly feel like they are going to explode at times (and they aren't even big yet, but the skin is stretching, ish!)!! So that being said, don't you think the girl had more pull than the guy in this??

All that being said, I got some very helpful naming advice from a papa of 3. See below.

3 Things to keep in mind when choosing a name:

#1- Middle name= irrelevant
In the sense that it doesn't have to sound perfect with the first or last (people hardly ever say or see your full name). Don't worry about the order of first and middle if you think one or the other first has a better flow (again people hardly ever say or see your full name). Just pick a name you like or that means something and go with it.

#2- Don't not choose a name because it reminds you of someone you knew or know and maybe don't favor or just the fact that it's their name too (especially if you aren't that close with them). As soon as it's your child's name, their face is the only one you will see.

#3- Don't not choose a name because someone else recently named their baby the same name (again, if you aren't super close with them).

Oh and this is the bonus rule:
If you decide on a name and do tell people ahead of time, make sure they know.........................
IT IS NOT A TOPIC FOR DISCUSSION

This really helped me because I obsess over the order and flow when really it doesn't matter. Others may feel differently, but to me it makes things soooo much easier.

More pictures to come soon. I promise.

No comments: